Tuesday, June 12, 2007

The pleasures of public libraries

One of the things I like most about Singapore is the chain of public libraries here.
I read books voraciously. In Bangalore, to satisfy my appetite for books I used to buy books every other weekend (What a pleasure that used to be!!!). Of course it was big drag on the monthly budget.

Here I find that that "fixed cost" can be taken care of rather simply by becoming a member of the National Library Board. Now suddenly I have three floors of books to choose from (apart from a floor of DVDs, VCDs and Video Cassettes). The first time I entered one of their branches close to my office, I felt like I was entering Alladin's Cave.

I guess I will have a lot of fun now especially with their History section.

There is only one pity though. I am only borrowing the books, not buying them for keeps. I wrote about books becoming friends in an earlier post. I will have to say bye bye to my new found friends only after three weeks of getting to know them....

1 comment:

anant said...

You mean 'after only three weeks' right? not 'only after three weeks'.

See? Still catching your English mistakes.