Friday, July 27, 2007

Is absolute happiness a myth?

This is regarding this post
Well probably. But there are moments when I have gone down on my knees (figuratively) and told The Almighty, "Please God! Enough!!! I don't want anything more".
Like this one time.....
I had just joined my first job. I got my first salary. Collected a set of REALLY crazy friends. (My friends would vouch for the fact that I have had the good fortune of having absolute crack-pots as my roomies...). Went to a place in Bangalore called ITPL on a Friday night. Had pizzas and beer. While returning from that place, slightly zoned out, I had said a prayer of thanks to The Almightly for letting me see so much happiness.
Or this other evening about a year later when we moved into a new house spacious house we rented and invited practically everyone we knew in Bangalore for a house-warming party. Some twenty guys turned up and we between ourselves finished off two bottles of tequila and other assorted liquor. That night at 2:00 am, I had decided that the world is not a bad place after all. Fifteen seconds later I had gone to sleep on a the floor right in the centre of our new home after shoving aside atleast three pairs of legs.
Then we had once gone for a trek to Sakleshpur. We walked for about half a dozen kilometers before people started conking out and giving up. Then while we waited, (and while I cussed, raved and kicked) it began to rain. It drizzled at first. Then in five minutes it started coming down in heaping hand-fuls. We all took off our shirts and danced.

So I guess there IS something called absolute happiness. But it comes in flashes. It shows you a glimpse and goes away before you can reach out and feel it properly. Now in these less-than-perfect times, I remember those fleeting glimpses of heaven and sigh. 

Absolute happiness in not a myth. But is it a curse?

2 comments:

Josh said...

so u need some real hard drinks and real heavy rain to feel absolute happiness eh.
hmm.. dunno if i will ever try the first option, but the latter is definitely worth a try. thnx dood!

curse! and how! blessed are those who have had glimpses (atleast) of absolute happiness.

Cane-an said...

Its a curse because nothing else then lives up to the high bar such moments set