Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Going Home...

Going home feels so much like a retreat to childhood. You can wake up late. You can get food brought to you and have your gripes patiently listened to by your long-suffering parents. Away from all the debugging, the stress and the petty back-stabbing and politicking outside.

You make solemn promises to yourself about meeting your friends but they all go right down the drain. You get up at 9:00 A.M, mooch around till 2:00 P.M., have brunch then and then go to sleep again. You wake up at 4:00 P.M., have tea with Mom, read something, chat with Mom and Dad (Get a dog Mum, come Dad cut down on your smoking atleast now!), have dinner at 10:00 pm, sit next to a fire in the verandah and then go to sleep again.
Life is tough!

Whenever I go home I stare at my book-case with all those classics lying in it. Then I pick up a thriller. I always promise myself that I will read the classics and the philosophy books "next time". The books I read at home are always these:
1. That Thriller
2. Collected Short Stories by Noel Coward
3. Gone with the Wind (The passages with Rhett Butler are really funny)
4. Dragon-Fire by Humphrey Hawksley (Only the passages in which India pummels Pakistan)
5. Another Thriller


Now that I have sufficiently shown off my intellectuality, here's wishing everyone who reads this a very happy and successful 2008. I would not wish you an eventful new year.... I have had a belly-full of them of late. I could do with a boring year for a change....

3 comments:

Josh said...

wish u too a happy new year dood!
but this character of rhett.. i found it supremely over confident.
as an aside, but for kiran desai (bcus her book wasnt tht big) i havent been able to complete any book written by a female author. be it gone with the wind or blind assassin. they write dictionaries dood! wht say?

Anonymous said...

What about chasing butterflies in Delhi [:P]

Anonymous said...

Josh,
Come on! Rhett to me is a guy everyone wants to be.... A guy with infinite resource and all the undue advantages. If he is overconfident, he still is fun to talk to....

Delhi is a very polluted city Adil....no butterflies :'(