Saturday, February 09, 2008

Serendipity

A few days ago I uncharacteristically bought this magazine called "Men's Health". Its glossy. It has pictures of nice looking ladies in it (not the smutty kinds mind you...). It has insightful articles about how to get the most out of one's daily bench-press routine. (Methinks, "What bench? How do you press it?"). It also has detailed pointers about what to gift your girl this Valentine's Day (I once e-ordered a bunch of red-roses to be delivered to my girl. Apart from commenting on the originality, my then-girlfriend also informed me that the roses made it to her in the early weeks of March. I am single now.).

Just when I was about to give up on this purchase as a Momentary Lapse of Reason, I chanced upon this article about singing. "Look and sound professional at your next karaoke night with your buddies and the girl you are trying to impress". I am not a singer. The last time I tried this undertaking, people were in splits. But once in college there was this competition, I picked up this song (Tum pukar lo...tumhara intezaar hai) and sang it in a baritone voice. I thought I did it very well but the judges gave me no points. I was pretty cut up. So cut up that I did not bother to inquire about this curious outcome. Realization dawned with this paragraph:

RANGE:
Daniel says that its even possible to improve a singer's range with the right technique. "If a singer simply sings in chest voice, he is quite limited in his singing range". In his work, Daniel often meets guys who assume they are bassists and baritones because they do not know how to access their upper range.

So that was the reason. The judge figured out that I was not a versatile singer because I very carefully stuck to my lower notes. He was right.

Moral of the story:
You never know where you are going to read something interesting next.

Next moral of the story:
READ glossy magazines (If you are mad enough to pick one). They have well-paid writers. Probably as well-paid as the photographers and the models. They are well-paid for a reason

Further:
I still cannot sing

3 comments:

Josh said...

i am curious. wht made u pick up men"s health? uncharaceristically..??

Cane-an said...

I am gaining inches Josh. I thought Men's Health will help me do something about this strange phenomenon.

Anonymous said...

Where r u gaining inches [:P]