Thursday, July 24, 2008

Block...

I cannot write. Much as I want to.

Its in the nature of things that when you write, you turn out a few bad pieces, a few mediocre ones and a few (only a very few) that make you smile at the end of it.

I remember the times when I would be walking down the streets and someone would say something funny that I'd overhear and there a chain of thought would start that will culminate in a poem or a passage or something.

Now either the people have stopped being funny, or I have stopped overhearing. I still walk the streets though.

Writing is a release. Sometimes when you get going, you feel this inner block slowly dissolving. You feel light-headed and cheerful. You take deeper breaths. A smile comes on your face. I am feeling that now.

I have always made it a point to atleast start with the intention of writing a tight little thing, retain my focus and not get lost in verbiage. And today here I am writing about a block....

What can you do?
When a block strikes you.
Do you rail? Do you squirm?
Or do you stop writing
And take up something new?

The moon still rises
The sky is still blue
Your friends still love you
Yet you sit every night
Aching to write something true

You don't want to be negative
You don't want to be crass
Have you started wondering
How your writing is read
That this has come to pass?

Writing is a pleasure
Reading is a gain
Oh God please don't deny me those
Because without them
Life's such a drain

1 comment:

anant said...

Ya I have caught the block bug too. Hope it has nothing to do with "settling down" :-)