Sunday, March 18, 2012

Snatches of bachelor existence

I had a gala time this week when I traveled to Hyderabad to attend Surya's wedding.

My work is hot. My wife is unwell. I need to be at home to clean-up and help out in the cooking. Indian weddings are a painful, boring experience with your friend whose wedding you are supposedly attending too busy and stressed out to talk to you. You are basically left to your own devices for the duration of your stay. To top it, I have not been home for almost two years now, and if I have to travel, I should have been doing my filial duty and going to Delhi!

I went because Surya is a close friend and because, his wedding is a cue for all my friends in that circle to land-up. It was quite convenient: Thulla and Frusthu were in Bangalore. Skroy was in Hyderabad itself. We have not met as a gang for close to nine years. All of us are married and half of us either have kids or are expecting them.
I had a torrid time getting to Hyderabad. The flight to Chennai was delayed by six hours and the Hyderabad connection was delayed by another four. I finally arrived at Hyd at one in the morning.

It was an awesome experience! Aside from the talking of course, we had three days of total physical abuse: In the three days, I must have slept collectively some twelve hours, drunk at-least 2-3 liters of alcohol in assorted dilution media, finished off half a dozen sticks of tobacco in assorted forms (I don't smoke in my normal life..).

While we all are responsible chaps at work, husbands, parents...we are at heart the same gang which used to sit up late at nights, comment about the female crowd, yak away and then as the sun rose went to give exams which we cleared with varying levels of ease.

Unfortunately, all guys in our gang are married now, so it is difficult to get another occasion to meet again. Probably we will need to invent a wedding now to sell to our wives and kids in order to meet and lead a snatched bachelor existence again...?

No comments: