Friday, September 12, 2008

Epiphany

I normally listen to ACDC only. It rocks. It resonates with whatever primal instinct I have in me and energizes me. If I go to some other band for a bit, its only because I need a break to remind myself how crappy other bands can be.
So half an hour ago, I was listening as usual to ACDC. I had had a hard day at work and I was sleepy. I still had some important stuff to do on the net, so I turned my Itunes on the "Shuffle" mode so that I do not get distracted by Angus Young.

All of a sudden, Itunes decided to play "Jiya Jale".
It was a moment of pure joy. Lata Mangeshkar's magical voice enveloped my consciousness, A. R. Rahman's music metamorphosed into something tangible right in front of my eyes and the Mallu lyrics gave me goose bumps and shivers.

What was it? Was it just me tired and sleepy? Was it just the fact that its something I listened to in my school days but of late don't consider worthwhile but have never been able to completely disown and now its coming back to claim me? Or was it the fact that there is something timeless about Lata Mangeshkar's voice or A. R. Rahman's music that no logic can justify or deny?

Its been 45 minutes now since that moment and I am still listening to "Dil Se"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When you take a break from monotonous life,things sound better than ever before probably!

viski said...

Happens....I flipped from desi bhangra to pink floyd to tamil movie songs to led zeppelin...So its always a good option --> The shuffle option...it can bring out your latent liking which changes with time..