Monday, September 15, 2008

More "Jiya Jale"

I am presently reading, "India's Unending Journey" by Mark Tully.
I have only done some fifty pages and I am enthralled.
Of late I have been trying, unsuccessfully, to change quite a few things by fighting them. I have been enamoured by the thought that given my "limitless reserves" I can beat down my opponents and have my way.
This book reminded me that the best way is to open your mind to differing views while staying true to your cause. The best way is to be humble, to accept the fact that other views might be as correct as your own. This is the way Hinduism teaches and I am after all a Hindu.

It also says (quite as an aside actually):
In his first sermon, Harry Williams describes two sorts of truth, an outer truth and an inner truth. The outer truth is all knowledge we acquire, our intellectual capital. The inner truth has a life of its own and can therefore sweep in upon us in ways we cannot control.

Take for instance something of superlative beauty - music, painting or what you will. We can indeed study and master its outside truth - how it is constructed- how it is related to what has gone before and so forth. But its reality eludes us altogether unless it penetrates us and evokes from us a response we cannot help giving.


This took me back to the experience I had a few days ago with "Jiya Jale".

I am still listening to that song while I type this.....

No comments: