Monday, September 17, 2007

This can happen only in Singapore

This morning I received my mobile phone bill. I was quite flummoxed by the in-ordinately large bill when I noticed that according to the mobile company at least, I have spent a major part of my month in Malaysia and was therefore on international roaming.

International Roaming??? Hell I have been doing nothing but waking up in the mornings and going to work!

Well this is how it panned out: My office is in the northern part of Singapore. The Malaysian border check-point is a fifteen minute drive from it. So its quite normal for my stupid cell-phone to catch hold of the Malaysian cellphone providers' network which has a stronger footprint.
My boss smilingly assured me that if I wanted to talk on local call rates to anyone in Indonesia, all I had to do was drive fifteen minutes in another direction from my office. Now I am thinking..... If I were to drive ANOTHER fifteen minutes towards the East, would I catch hold of some cellphone base-station in the Andamans??? That would solve my calling-home problems right away!!!!

3 comments:

Josh said...

that is hilarious dude!
so.. is the problem solved?

Cane-an said...

oh yes....
I have been advised to:
1. Foot the bill this time
2. Keep my cell-phone on manual network select from now on...

Rick Van Winkle said...

hahaha! this is funny indeed. big city boy goes to small city state phenomenon?