Sunday, March 02, 2008

A few things...

This is regarding the post here
Viski says that hormones decide the mood.
I agree. I definitely feel great after listening to rock music... The music gets my adrenaline pumping.

After a hard day at work, I might come as tired and beaten up as what have you, but all I do is have my dinner, have a hot leisurely shower and then go for a walk. During the walk, I drown myself in the beats of ACDC or Rammstein or (these days) G'nR.

However low I might be feeling at the beginning, fifteen minutes of "rock-therapy" leaves me feeling energized again. I start feeling (again) that I am still young and there are still quite a few things I can do and the daily frustrations and difficulties run off my back "like Duck's water" (This is a quote from Biswas-Babu in "A Suitable Boy").

In the worst phases of my life, I have come to realize in hind-sight, that I felt so bad because I did not take time out for my daily 1 hour of therapy.

Its funny how you grow up and the music you listen to grows up with you.
I started off with Michael Jackson at school. I used to listen to "Smooth Criminal" when I was twelve (I never got the lyrics though....just followed the beats then).
Around 10th standard, I graduated to Bryan Adams.
In 11th and 12th I hardly listened to anything. I was to busy studying for JEE.
In college I got introduced to G'nR and Pink Floyd and other assorted rock bands by my crazy wing-mates. Whenever I listen to "Freebird" now I am always reminded of Tompha jamming on his guitar in the Netaji Auditorium. He was a very shy, taciturn and self-effacing guy but when he started playing his guitar, everyone stopped and listened.

In Bangalore I got introduced to "Purple Haze" (blessed blessed place!!!) and slowly the music I listened to became "harder". These days I listen to ACDC and Rammstein.

Someday I think I will finally start liking Megadeth at this rate.....

The other funny thing is how I came full circle in the understanding-lyrics department. I never understood a word of "Smooth Criminal" at school. After all these years now I don't understand a word in the lyrics of "Rammstein". Don't think I am going to bother about learning German for that.....


****************


Vivek came over to Singapore today. He was passing by on his way to LA and had a few hour's lay-over. He gave me and Dubey a ping and we both trooped over to Changi to hug each other and laugh.
Here are the three of us (Me, Dubey and Vivek) sitting over Coffee in Terminal 3 of Changi.


I know I know.... I need a shave and a haircut and some sleep.....

It was nice to know that irrespective of time and distances, some friendships last. It was nice to laugh like a banshee for the first time in Singapore....

******************

Finally, Viski says, "Digressing a bit, man is like a digital inverter, yes or no is what he knows. Where as a woman is like a carefully biased 10-stage rail-to-rail (you know the moods swings dontchya?) opamp. You know there is something wrong but can't figure out straight away which stage screwed up!"

Viski? In the interest of leading a simple uncomplicated life....are you suggesting we all turn gay????? ;)

1 comment:

viski said...

A true mixed signal system = analog + digital..what use is the inverter without opamp and even otherwise..