Saturday, March 15, 2008

Seven things no one wants to know...

I have been tagged by this crazy girl in Bangalore. (eee tag-phag ka howat hai bhaiyya???)

Anyway the deal is that I have to list down seven random (but sufficiently interesting) things about me. Here goes:

1. I am addicted to books. Cannot live without them. For other people home is where they hang their hats. For me home is where I keep my books.

2. I love reading about the Second World War. Most of it is boring but the Eastern Front has this insane attraction for me. I have read everything about it I could lay hands on, watched every movie I could find and I keep dreaming about visiting the places where all the carnage happened. Uncharitable souls have commented that I love reading about it because of the scenes of widespread cruelty to women and children that are manifest in accounts of that action. I thought about it and for a while I got pretty scared about that analysis. Then I realized that that could not be true because the battle I most love to read about is the Battle of Stalingrad. For all the cruelty, this action was fought by professional armies who to an extent respected the laws of war. I guess its the nihilism of the entire episode that attracts me. Ashes to ashes. Dust to dust. (More about that in another post I guess)

3. I take people for granted left right and centre. But on the other hand I value my relationships immensely. I would do absolutely anything for my close ones. That includes family as well as friends. People sometimes go out of their way to help me. It is a source of continual wonder to me and makes me very humble and proud to have such friends....

4. I love taking trips. I love slumming it out. The best trip to me would be to a jungle. To get to it I would hitch-hike rides. When I get there I would sleep under a tree. I hate big cities. I feel Man-kind would have been better off not coming down from the trees in the first place.

5. I listen to bands in relays. One month its ACDC and ACDC only. The next month it will be only Aerosmith. Now I am listening to the "Foo Fighters"

6. I am extremely casual about money. I cannot stand people for whom its the sole and ultimate aim. (Their approach to life is not wrong. Its just very different from mine). I hate questions about how much I earn. I don't ask them. I hate answering them.

7. While I was in Bangalore, one evening, I very seriously considered throwing it all away and joining a Buddhist Monastery in the Himalayas. I am not that crazy (or stressed out) now. But I ABSOLUTELY LOVE the Himalayas. I should. I am named after them.


I am not going to tag anyone in return but yes people in my blog-roll, go ahead and see if you can part with such random secrets. This is fun to do.

9 comments:

innovation said...

Nice Nice....i think your blog is one of the 10 reasons that i keep coming to office..:-p

Cane-an said...

That's the best compliment I have ever received.
Making YOU come to office! Man! That's big!

crasiezt said...

Tag well executed:-)
Howz the flu now?

Cane-an said...

Oh the 'flu has gone away...me hale and hearty.
Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Nice man.I have read almost all your blogs.

Do you still consider 7. as of now as an option in your current life..

Cane-an said...

You never know.... :)

Goutam Saha said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Goutam Saha said...

On point 7, can there be something in between? Do some intermediate stuff and join us at IITkgp. Both Himalaya and Indian beauty(improving), the middle path you are treading in, will be closer.

Being the oldest, IITkgp is in dire need of new generation faculty members ... an open invitation to you and all your friends/seniors/juniors. I know salary is a dampener :( but some improvement after 6th pay commission :), also there may be top-ups from endowment funds and there are many other IIT approved earning opportunities e.g. I get almost double of what IIT gives me as salary, for many it is 3x, 4x ... Please consider and first choice should be E&ECE.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this valuable information in your blog, keep updating your blog with interesting information.

Thankss
grants for single mothers